The abandoned Quarantine Station on Torrens Island was originally built in 1879 after more temporary measures were inadequate with cases of typhus and small pox arriving in SA. Many of the buildings are now gone, with only one from 1879 that survived the early 1900’s upgrades, but those that remain give a good impression of what it would of been like to be ‘quarantined’
The Boiler House 1916 that provided steam power for the station
Refshauge House 1916 used as the Superintendent’s Residence then as the Doctor’s House. This was a 1950’s pink bathroom.
Timber Cottage the remaining 1879 building used to house large groups of people in two or three rooms
The Linen Store 1916, the linen was stored in a large central area made of lead maybe to keep the mice out?
The door of a large autoclave for disinfecting clothes and bedding
Left over machinery in the work area.